For special winter experiences on the Iron Range, we’ve paired area outdoor skating rinks and sledding hills with great places to grab a treat or a meal.
What’s winter without a good sledding hill? (or sliding hill, as we sometimes say in the North) During the holiday break, or anytime, really, be sure to make a trip down the largest hill you can find part of your winter memories. If you’re local, try a hill in the next town over. If you’re a visitor, here’s a list of easy-to-find hills, and the perfect places to stop and warm up after.
- “The Old L&M Hill” This spot in Hibbing, on the corner of Hwy 169 and First Avenue (look for the business district entrance) has ample parking and a hill big enough to wear everyone out before they get too cold! Pair this hill with a trip to Sunrise Bakery, also on First Avenue, for special coffees and a variety of pastries and candies, with lots of room to sit and sip/snack. Open weekdays 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturdays 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Grab a pizza at Sammy’s or burgers at Palmer’s Tavern if you crave something hearty.
- In Chisholm the sliding hill can be found right under the water tower, near the Armory and a small park. Black Bear Bakery offers yummy treats weekdays until 3 p.m. Head to Jim’s Sports Club Bar and Grill for food and beverages, and be sure to watch for the epic Slide the City event in February – it’s just as fun as it sounds, and only happens during Polar Bear Days.
- Biwabik’s sliding hill is right on Hwy 135 as you enter town. Find ample parking, and follow the road eastward to Vi’s Pizza to re-charge.
- The municipal golf course in Virginia is this city’s hottest sliding spot. Park on 18th Street North for some sliding fun, and make your way to Canelake’s Candies, open 9-5:30 Monday-Saturday, or the Sugar Shack, open Tuesday-Friday 10-5:30 and Saturdays 10-3.
- In Aurora, find Ed Berdice Field at Pine Grove Park on West Third Ave. North and stop by The Hive Coffee and Bakehouse Mon-Sat 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. or Rudy’s Bar and Grill weekdays after 2:00 or weekends after noon for great food and libations.
Grab your skates and go! Outdoor rink and warming shack hours vary, but they are generally open during the day and evening during the holiday break. Check city websites to confirm. Here are a few of our favorite rinks:
In Chisholm, the South Side rink and warming shack are just off the main street, and just down the hill from Snickers Pizza. Also on Lake Street, find Valentini’s authentic Italian and Choppy’s Pizza.