Built in 1909-1910, the B’nai Abraham Synagogue was the longest-standing operating synagogue on the Iron Range, finally closing as such in the 1990s. In 2004, Friends of B’nai Abraham began the long process of restoring the building and opening it for cultural activities. A permanent exhibit tells the history of the synagogue and its restoration. During the summer, the Cultural Center hosts temporary exhibits as well as musical events and other programs.
The B’nai Abraham Museum is located on the corner of Fifth Street South and South Fourth Avenue in Virginia. It is open for special performances or events, and tours by arrangement. For tour information, contact the Virginia Area Historical Society at 218-741-1136 or VirginiaMNhistory@gmail.com. Learn more here: http://www.ironrangejewishheritage.org/
In 1980 the building became the only Minnesota synagogue listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Trust for Preservation